How Do I Do It?

Jodie asked this question a few weeks ago: "With all that you guys have been through with the adoptions and how blessed you have been with your 3 beautiful boys, you have to share how you handled 3 children, boys no less, that were so close in age." Honestly, I had to laugh out loud when I read that question! I know Jodie personally, as she and Rick used to be co-workers when we lived in that beautiful mountain state. (Sigh. I'll try not to get distracted by that thought. The thought of how much I miss Colorado. Moving on.)

Because I know Jodie, I know that she works, mothers two kids beautifully (often single-handedly as her hubby travels a lot), and saves time for her own hobbies, the question is not how do I do it, but how do you do it, Jodie? I stay home with my boys for two reasons. One, I don't want to miss anything that they do! Second, I would be a terrible working mom. Terrible, I tell you! Either my children would go hungry, or the house would be in absolute shambles, or the boss would fire me for not completing my "real" job. I simply do not have enough energy for a full-time job and my family. Thankfully, Rick understands, agrees with, and supports me on this issue, so I get to stay home with my boys.

But because I do get that question often, I will address it. And this is the point in which I sit here drumming my fingers on the keyboard, because I don't know how to answer the question. How do I do it? I don't know. I just do. Sometimes I fly by the seat of my pants. Sometimes I'm wonderfully scheduled and planned. Sometimes we have a wonderfully productive day full of sunshine and laughter. Other days are full of tears and timeouts.

But there are some things that I have figured out that help me keep my hair in their follicles and smiles on my boys' faces. These things must take place every day:
1. My day starts with a diet Coke. If I could afford the calories, it would be Dr. Pepper.
2. We have blanket time every morning.
3. All three boys take an afternoon nap. Thank the Lord God in heaven above!
4. During nap time, I blog and accomplish my to-do list from the couch. I force myself to sit down for at least an hour. Without this time to recharge my feet, I could not finish out the day.
5. All toys must be picked up before nap and bedtime. I cannot stand clutter!
6. All dishes must be picked up after each meal. I hate facing dirty lunch dishes at dinner.
7. These boys are taken outside every possible moment. They sweat, get dirty, and run wild, and I freckle in the sun.

It's never a dull moment around here, that's for sure.

No comments: