Works-For-Me Wednesday: Blanket Time

Do you need a little break from the tantrums, fighting, whining? Go to a five-star hotel. No! Although a weekend at the five-star would be heavenly, what I have to offer you today is a bit more frugal. If you're like me, you need a a little time every day when you know your children can play peacefully. Blanket time is one of my favorite times of the day.

Each child is given a quilt to sit on in our game room with a couple of toys and books of my choosing. I set a timer for 45 minutes, and the boys are required to stay on their own blanket to play and read. I play praise music and read quietly in the same room.

We have blanket time in the mid-morning. The boys' tummies are still satisfied from breakfast. They are dressed, and they've had time to play together. Blanket time brings calm to each one of us. It brings structure to our day. It also gives the boys some healthy boundaries in their play time.

You set the time, duration, location, and activities to fit your lifestyle. I guarantee you'll feel more peace in your home!

If you would like more tips on making your life easier, see Shannon's blog.

6 comments:

Kelly @ Growing.Learning.Playing. said...

I have heard of this idea and LOVE it! My question is, how young did you start training your boys to do this and HOW did you train them? I really need to train my children to do this. God bless!

Jane said...

This is a fantastic way to teach the kids that even mom needs quiet time! This will pay off big when they go to school and have independent work and rug time.

Anonymous said...

I love this idea. I can see my dd liking this as well. Thanks for the tip

Caroline said...

I haven't heard of this but can see a lot of benefit. For one thing, it probably teaches them some self-control. :) Great idea....

KJ Family said...

Ami - This sounds like a great idea. Do they stay on their blankets without many reminders? Thanks also for leaving a date on my blog!

ohAmanda said...

How old were they when you started doing this? I'm wondering if I should try this with my 19mo?