D-Day for Garrett

For the last couple of days, I've found myself telling Garrett "I love you" more often than usual. You know, something like 200 times instead of 150. And when I tell him of my love, I silently add, "And I'm sorry for what your about to go through." Why? Because I know that tomorrow is Doom's Day for him, the day in which he will undergo a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy. Thankfully, he doesn't have any idea what is about to happen to him. But I sure as heck do, and I hurt for him when I think about the recovery process.

He has snored since he was very young, and I really thought nothing of it, until we began to notice that he was also suffering from sleep apnea. Because it's slightly important to breathe continually throughout the night, his ENT wants to remove his extra large tonsils and adenoids. We're also hoping that perhaps his eating will improve, after the recovery, once his throat has more room for the large adult-sized bites that he insists on forcing down his throat.

Anyway, I remember the excruciating pain from my own tonsillectomy as an eight year-old. I remember my mom telling me, "Ami, you have to start swallowing your saliva. You will never get better if you don't start swallowing." And I remember thinking, "WHAT?! You want me to swallow my spit?! It may seem simple to you, but swallowing my spit feels like swallowing a bucket of nails!" That is why I hurt for my baby Garrett.

And so, I ask that you please say a prayer or two for him. The surgery itself is tomorrow at 8 am CST and should be short and simple. The recovery process is what I'm dreading. He will be on liquids for the first 24 hours, and I can slowly add soft "solids" thereafter. He is to avoid rough play for a week. No spicy, acidic, or rough foods for 3 weeks. Please pray for much less pain than I am anticipating for him, and please pray that he will have a strong desire to drink in order to avoid dehydration. And you can pray for my sanity, if you like. Thanks!

3 comments:

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

Awwww...poor little guy. He is definitely in my prayers - all of you are!! It's gonna be tough on all of you. Happy-feel-better thoughts headed your way!

Anonymous said...

How did all turn out with little G? Poor guy :-(

Anonymous said...

Jeez, porr little man! I hope he makes a quick recovery with lots of ice cream and cake and cookies....

Jamie