We Had Us A Party!

Because Jack and Garrett's birthdays are only 26 days apart, I planned a joint party for them this year.

My poor kids got stuck with a Poor Party Planning Mama! Poor boys. But I have a friend who has a real knack for party planning, and I asked her a month ago to help me think of something easy and fun for three year-olds. She listed several fun ideas, but I quickly decided that this was the best idea for us.

Thanks to Jenny, we had a Fire Fighter Party, and let me tell you, it was a HIT!

I called our local fire department and chose Fire Station #2 for a morning tour. The fire men greeted us and took us on a tour of the entire station. They were very accommodating and informative.

Because our roads were slick this morning, we witnessed two live emergency calls! It was priceless to see the 9 kids' faces when the alarms sounded, the lights glared, and the men went into action. Even the parents were fascinated!

At the end of the tour, the kids were able to climb onto one of the trucks. My boys could have stayed there all day.

Jack loves hats, so he was the first kid to ask to wear a real-live fire man's hat.
And what one of them does, the other must do also. Garrett, my shy boy, was a little overwhelmed with all the new people, but he told me later that he "wuvs the fire station!"

My big boy Liam.
This rookie fire man was volunteered by his peers to dress in full gear for the kids.

Then, we went to Chick-fil-A for lunch and cake.
Party favors purchased at Party City.
And can I just tell you that, as I was lighting these candles, I had one of those moments, where I mentally asked myself, "Are these really my kids?!" Sometimes I still need to pinch myself to help me realize how blessed I am with three beautiful boys!

This was a really fun party that I highly recommend! It was easy to put together, fun for everyone, and budget-friendly. The fire station tour is free and educational. Some fire stations will even give you a room for your cake-eating and gift-opening. Your only cost is your food (optional), cake (NOT optional, are you kidding!), and party favors.
Thanks to my Colorado friend Jenny for this fantastic idea! I miss you greatly, girl!
I created a really cute invitation that went out on fire truck paper that I can share at a later date for anyone interested.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent Party! My favorite part, as a parent, about the fire station tour is when they put on all the gear one piece at a time and make sure that the kids know it's still the same person inside so if there ever is a fire, they won't be afraid of "the monster" - it's great for them to see that. And really, who DOESN'T like to get on a fire truck?