We May Need A Translator

I promised myself this morning that I would not blog today so that I could try to catch up on some sleep, but y'all are the best friends ever, so I just can't stay away from you! That sounds terribly sad, doesn't it, that my blog readers are my best friends? Okay, let me try that again. I can't stay away from the blog, because I'm terribly addicted. I'm not sure if that sounds any better, but it is certainly more truthful.

And for those of you who are wondering, no, I do not say "y'all" in real life, even though I am a native Texan. Yes, it is possible to grow up in Texas and not have that silly word within your vacabulary. But it is definitly a blog-worthy word, y'all.


I feel like Liam and Jack got a lot of attention via my blog last week, so I was hoping to start this week with something G-related. Garrett-related, that is. Luckily, he provided me with a topic over the weekend.

I've mentioned before that Garrett is our music lover. He loves to sing, loves to hear music, loves to be sung to, etc. He is happiest when I'm singing "You Are My Sunshine" to him, only I have to sing it exactly three times while he sits in my lap, and absolutely no other conditions will work. He's not particular or anything. Ahem.

Every night when Rick walks in from work, Garrett immediately asks for "Hullabaloo". For those of you who are not well versed in Aggieology, "Hullabaloo" is Texas A&M's War Hymn. Garrett can sing every single word in tune, all the while marching and swaying in the appropriate places. It's rather impressive.

Some of Garrett's favorite songs also include Elton John's "Crocodile Rock", Bay City Rollers' "Saturday Night", and "Baby Moses" sung to "Where is Thumbkin?". Add "Hullabaloo" and "You Are My Sunshine" to the list, and you see that his taste is quite eclectic.

On Friday night, he kept asking us for "Cooookin'". We asked him to repeat it so many times that he probably thought we were the dumbest parents on earth. Rick and I looked at each other and repeated it, "Cooookin', Cooookin'? What is he saying?" We asked him if it was on tv, "No!". He took us to our CD collection, but we still weren't catching on.

Garrett's vocabulary and pronounciation are amazing for his age, and although being his mother gives me bragging rights, I am not bragging. He really does speak amazingly well for a two year-old. So for Rick and I to be scratching our heads over "Cooookin'" is not a common problem around here, thank goodness. There is almost nothing more frustrating than watching your baby's face contort twenty different ways to try to beat "Cooookin'" into his clueless parents' heads! We were all exhausted and frustrated, so Rick was thankfully able to distract him with "Hullabaloo" and all was well with the world.

On Saturday, Rick and Garrett were upstairs in the game room. Rick was pickin' around on his guitar, and G was playing. I was downstairs reading blogs, of course. What else would I be doing? Suddenly, I hear Rick, "That's it? Hey, good lookin'? That's it?!" And I heard Garrett's angelic voice answer with a triumphant, "YES!" They both came downstairs to let me know that "Cooookin'" is actually Hank Williams' "Hey, Good Lookin'". You know the words: "Hey, good lookin'. Watch ya got cookin'? How about cookin' somethin' up with me?"

I'm so glad that we solved that mystery. And here's a picture of my guys singing "Hey, Good Lookin'" together.


Rick will hate that picture! But there's no better photo of my two musicians. And anyway, Rick is the reason most of Garrett's favorite songs existed long before I was conceived. Oops! I probably just dug a deeper hole for myself, y'all.

No comments: