Our Story

I can't believe I haven't shared our story after some 275 posts. In honor of Valentine's Day, here is how Rick and I became Mr. and Mrs. CupRunnethOver.

In 1981, both of our families moved to the same city and began attending the same church. Because Rick is four years older, he and I weren't friends and thought nothing of one another. I was 6 and lost in the world of Barbies. He was 10 and had his eyes out for older women. Four years is quite the difference at those stages in life.

I stayed at the same church until I graduated from college in 1997, but Rick moved on in the late 1980s. We never saw each other in those ten years, and I know I never thought about him one bit. I'm certain that he wasn't pining away for me either.

The next time I remember seeing Rick was at a wedding in the early 1990s. I remember thinking, "What a weirdo!" He was a student at Aggieland at the time, and he was enjoying his freedom. He had grown his hair out, dyed it black, and his ears sported three rings. Nothing like the Ricky I had seen some years back!

Over the next several years, our lives went down different paths. Rick graduated from college, moved to Europe to teach, then to California for his Master's. I finished college, planned a wedding that I later called off, and then moved to Colorado.

In 1998, we both moved back to Texas. Rick was tired of the single life and ready to settle down. I was praying for God to show me my husband and to hurry it up already, please.

In July, Rick moved into apartment 916. In August, I moved into apartment 926, right above Rick. This was not planned by us, but it was certainly no accident.

For the next few months, we noticed one another in our comings and goings, but we were both too shy to say anything. I thought he looked familiar to me, but I couldn't quite place his face with a name.

On December 4th, Rick saw me at the mailboxes, so he stopped to get his mail for the second time that day. He tried flirting with me, but I wasn't in a good mood. Here's the conversation that took place:

Rick: Hi. How are you? [with that big smile that had grabbed my eye a few times over the past months]

Me: Fine. [growl]

R: You don't look so fine.

Me: I just got a ticket. [growl]

R: Uh oh. What were you doing?

Me: Speeding. [growl]

R: Better not do that.

Me: [silence] [glare] [exit]

R: [silently kicked himself]

I sped off for my apartment building, and he quickly followed me. As I got out of my car, I noticed he was waiting for me. I thought, "Good grief! I am NOT in the mood for this!"

But then, his face "clicked", and I thought I might know him. We made small talk and realized that we were both teachers. I finally felt brave enough to say, "I'm Ami Maidenname. Are you Ricky or Chris [his brother]?" He corrected me with, "I'm Rick." Small talk continued for a few minutes, and then we said goodbye and went to our separate apartments.

As I walked into my apartment and shut the door, I heard God in my left ear. He said, "That is the man you'll marry." I locked the door and said, "WHAT?!" Again He spoke, "That is the man you'll marry. Don't question me on this." I giggled and called my dad. I didn't even have to tell Dad about God's statement; he knew it, too.

Rick came upstairs to ask me out the next day, but I declined. I already had plans with a girlfriend, and I wouldn't cancel on her for a guy. I later told her about it, and she hit me and said, "What were you thinking?! You should have gone out with him!" (She became my maid of honor.)

Two days later, on December 7th, Rick left a note on my car, which I found on my way to work. It read: Hi, Amy. Would you like to go out to dinner tonight? Call me. Rick

I called him, and we went to dinner and a movie. He cooked me dinner the next night. I was sold by that point!

First date: December 7, 1998

Engaged: February 22, 1999

Married: July 25, 1999

When you know it's right, there's no time to waste!

This post is long enough at this point, but I still have two fun stories to share: the first "I love you" and our engagement. I'll save them for another day.

Rick, I'm so glad you stopped me on that bad December day! I shutter to think how different my life would be without you, my soulmate. I love you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will always love you!

Christie@tisbutaseason said...

How amazing God is, huh? What a great story. Thanks for sharing it!