Brought to You By the Color Green

There's this time of day that I've grown to hate.

Lunch.

A few months ago, I was in this same boat and revamped our lunch menu to help us step beyond PB&J. We began to eat things like bean and cheese quesadillas, homemade pizzas, grilled ham and cheese sandwiches. Nothing gourmet, granted. Just a little branching out.

But even that has grown old. If it weren't for the throwing of fits due to low blood sugar, I would just skip lunch altogether.

And I may or may not be speaking of my own low blood sugar. Unfortunately, my family knows the truth. Ahem.

Liam has also gotten bored with lunch. He won't even eat a sandwich of any kind anymore.

At 12:00 this afternoon, I knew we were headed for disaster if I didn't whip up something quickly. I asked Liam, "What do you want for lunch? I have some chicken left from last night, so I can make chicken quesadillas. Or I can make chicken salad sandwiches."

Silence.

Large almond-shaped eyes rolled up to me as if to say, "Are you kidding me?"

I have no idea where he learned that eye-rolling business.

"Well, what would you like, Liam?"

"How about chicken and spinach salad?"

"You mean you're asking for a bed of spinach salad covered with rotisserie chicken, blue cheese, craisins, walnuts, and poppy seed dressing," I asked in sheer shock.

"Yes, I like that," my little man replied.

I ran to the kitchen to fill the man's order before he had second thoughts. And I made 4 plates, because I'm no short order cook.

Here's proof:
Please excuse the green hue to these photos. We have a new camera, and I need to sit down to read the manual. But who has time for that?

Yes, that's a gourmet salad served on a Wal Mart special paper plate. We're classy like that.

Those almond eyes? Here they are:
I think lunch might be more enjoyable now that we're branching out. PB&J? Who needs it? We've got spinach and chicken salad.

3 comments:

Daddy said...

Yummo

starbucksgirl said...

Man, that photo makes me hungry. Why don't you hop on a plane and fly to Nashville and make me one of those salads. Yummy.

common mom said...

Ohh yummy! Princess would eat at your house every day! The girl looovvvesss her some spinach!