An Oxymoron

I love oxymorons! The true definition of oxymoron is: a rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined. (Dictionary.com) Some examples: jumbo shrimp, deafening silence, poor little rich girl.

The boys and I had to run out to get a few essentials yesterday. Among our shopping list were laundry detergent, diapers, milk, and diet Coke...all very essential! Because I really wanted to stick to my list, I decided to do this shopping at Wal Mart. (If I dare darken the door of Target, I will come home with thirty items that were not on my list. Oh, how that store tempts me beyond my will power!) Anywho, I don't believe that I've ever blogged about my feelings towards Wal Mart, but let me just keep it short by saying that I loathe that store!

As I was pushing the shopping cart with my little chattering boys, I overheard another woman's remark. "This is a nice Wal Mart." A nice Wal Mart?! That is an oxymoron, if I ever heard one!

Have you heard any good oxymorons that you care to share? If so, post a comment.

2 comments:

Antique Mommy said...

Yes, my mother-in-law reported to me that they are building an "upscale Wal-Mart" near where she lives. Those two words should not even be in the same sentence. Or paragraph.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your site! I have decided to come back often, thanks for the laughs!

This one is particularly funny to me because we were JUST at Walmart and before we went in I had to sit in the car for 5 minutes mentally prepping myself while my husband was all "You can do it honey, come on."

Oxymoron: military intelligence. My husband supplied me with that goody, he can say that because he is a military man. It's sooooooo true.

Yay for finding new great blogs!

Jamie