Something Profound

I sat down here on the couch to write a profound post. Flexed my fingers. Tapped a few keys. Stopped to sip from my Diet Coke. Tapped a few more keys.

Only to be interrupted by the rattling of a doorknob. Behind that door is a 2 1/2 year-old that is learning to nap on a napmat instead of within the confines of his crib.

"Jack, what are you doing up so early?"

[Rubbing the confusion and sleep from his eyes.] "I get up."

"No, it's not time to get up. Go back to bed. I'll come get you when it's time."

After settling him in with his bear, I close the door to return to the couch and laptop.

Only to find a 4 year-old on the stairs with bright eyes and a wide smile. "Hi, Mommy!"

"Hi, Liam, you're up early. What's going on?"

"I'm awake."

Knowing that I put him to bed earlier than usual, I relent and allow him to play quietly while his brothers rest longer.

Turning back to the laptop, I realize that the intellectual post...is gone. I guess it wasn't so wise if I can't remember where I was going with those escaped thoughts.

We're leaving early tomorrow morning for a three-day weekend of camping, so I'll be back Monday. With something thoughtful, I hope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Camping - fun! We're going camping up in Golden this weekend - I can't wait. Hoping the trees are beginning to change a bit so we have a nice view. Enjoy your weekend!